Monday 20 October 2014

Cocco Latte

Bought through: Living Social
Voucher for: High Tea for Two with a Selection of Sweet and Savoury Treats plus Pink Lemonade (Value $79.90)


Cocco Latte

Oh dear, this was definitely not a special occasion high tea. Compared to the wonderful spread I had at The Spot Tea Room in Caulfield, this was a very pale imitation, and one that would give you a red cordial headache to boot.

The location is nice enough, a reasonably expansive cafe located close to the Surrey Hills train station, and the proprietors have made a savvy decision in kitting out a good sized kids play area on site - it's not an IKEA ball park, but it should keep your little ones reasonably happy and occupied while the grown ups enjoy a cafe meal or coffee.

Alister and I were here to enjoy a lovely afternoon tea and were lucky enough to get a quiet interlude when we popped by on the weekend. 

Having booked in advance as requested by the voucher, we had a reserved table waiting by a well lit windowed corner of the cafe. The cafe seemed to unfortunately only have one type of tea (?), an ordinary black, so I decided to ask (and agreed to pay) for a skinny mocha instead as I confess a preference for Earl or Lady Grey tea. I had hoped to have a hot beverage included with this deal, but I understand that this is high tea not high coffee. 

The three-tiered platter arrived and I have to say, we were distinctly underwhelmed. Really, this was worth close to $80? I've seen better serves for less cost in the CBD!

The sandwiches were dull, other savoury appetizers looked to be from a box and not the Cocco Latte kitchens, and the sweet items on offer were so sugary they practically gave me a cavity just looking at them. And I have a sweet tooth - ask anybody! The rainbow sprinkled cake-pop brandishing a musk stick was pretty much inedible (though I can understand little ones might go nuts over its festive colours).

Our pink lemonade was not even store bought - just clear lemonade with food colouring that left a line of red on the inside of the glass - ick. 

What I was probably most disappointed about though, was the scones. 
I LOVE a good scone and it's one of my favourite indulgences for afternoon tea when I catch up with friends. My favourite is currently made to order at The Cup and Mug in Kew, and I love it with lashings of jam and cream (and extra strawberries if they're going!) 
This hard biscuit served up with a rubbery scoop of jam and cream so evaporative I suspect it came from a can is the sorriest scone I've seen in a good while. 
I have eaten better at MacCafe. All in all, the entire high tea was very dissatisfying.

Pros: A bustling location; a decent play area for children; nice interiors; and they let me have my coffee (which was quite nice) as part of the package when I went to pay for it 

Cons: I cannot recommend in any way this very disappointing high tea


Cocco Latte on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments? Notes or opinions? Write on!