Wednesday 27 August 2014

Chez Olivier

Bought through: Entertainment Book
Voucher for: 25% off the total bill

Chez Olivier

Ahh.... The French - the language, the culture, the food! All of it is tres, tres romantique and I can well understand why this bistro has it's reputation as a location for lovers - it has flattering mood lighting, delicious aromas and of course, a marvellous selection of wines to spark that special date.

My companion this evening was not Awesome Alister however, but gal pal Violeta, as we caught up for an early dinner ahead of a show at Chapel Off Chapel theatre - the funny and fierce Spike Heels.

We had ordered the pre-theatre menu and what a delightful bargain that was! I don't know if this is requested often, but on our night, it was the better considered option than choosing separate entrees and mains or the specials of the day. The only caveat is that you are seated and finished by 7.30pm, which suited Violeta and I perfectly as our show started at 8.00pm.

My entree was beautifully plated and served on a bed of sea salt and oh, my! The taste was sublime. I normally never add salt to most of my meals - I suspect most dishes have enough salt as it is - but this was something different. The fresh bread with butter and salt that is de rigeur at most European establishments was also elevated to a heavenly mouthful with every bite - and why boulougaries are prized in France. 

My main however, was a bit ordinary, looking like a sporadic tossing of vegetables and buttons of meat to resemble a Pollack painting. It was okay, but I guess I had higher expectations as my entree was such a sensation.

Violeta remarked that she would have to come back with her husband as she doesn't get a chance to eat French cuisine very often of this standard, and with Chez Olivier's extensive wine list, it's the perfect romantic atmosphere for lovers. 
So overall worth trying again when a flight to Paris might be a touch prohibitive.

Pros: artfully plated meals in a delightfully Francophile bistro; quick and reasonably priced pre-theatre menu; in the heart of Prahran and close to Chapel Off Chapel theatre

Cons: My main meal in this instance was not very satisfying; might be a bit pricey without a voucher

Chez Olivier - Le Bistro on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments? Notes or opinions? Write on!