Saturday 2 August 2014

The People's Waffle

Bought through: Groupon
Voucher for: Belgian Waffle with Drink for Two ($9) at The People's Waffle, Hawthorn 

The People's Waffle

When I first came over to Melbourne, I wasn't quite sure which suburbs might suit me best to live in. Do I want something cool and funky? Friendly and safe? Or community focused and quirky? Friends Lian and Suzanne advocated a variety of locations and I dutifully plugged them into accommodation search drives and took a punt. 


Well, I lucked in as I'm now fortunate enough to call the Eastern suburbs home, and am walking distance to the great Glenferrie Road, a veritable mecca of shopping and dining that stretches from Kew to Caulfield.
Hawthorn is
particularly bustling, and as you enjoy the gorgeous views of houses grand designed, you are continually greeted by new and fun foodie options to tempt your evolving palate.

The People's Waffle is a relatively recent addition and looks to take on the burgeoning frozen yogurt and cupcake crowd that clamour towards a destination dessert location. 

And why the heck not? The smells that greet myself and Alister as we front up after our Saturday morning walk instantly made me salivate in anticipation, and the friendly staffer behind the counter volunteered us for the next batch just cooking up - mmmmm, anticipating deliciousness and service with a smile! 

Apparently Liege waffles are made from a dough, not a batter, and are much denser in texture with a crunchy crisp coating (that's the caramelised pearl sugar making sure you get a satisfying sound as you bite in).

Alister and I were treated to a sweet blueberry waffle and the savoury jamon and cheese, both of which elicited an enthusiastic "This is yum!" from my fellow diner. I have a feeling The People's Waffle might gain some monthly regulars eager to sample their growing menu.

Pros: lovely fit out with warm wood in welcoming colours; oh-my-gosh, UH-mazing waffle wafting smells spilling out onto the sidewalk; friendly and helpful staff

Cons: a potentially widening waistline... more walks up that Hawthorn hill!

The People's Waffle on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments? Notes or opinions? Write on!