Thursday 31 July 2014

Transport Public Bar

Bought through: The Entertainment Book


My effervescent and exuberant pal Nikki was visiting Melbourne and you know what, I've realised it's been an absolute age since I've seen her. 

She now calls the neighbourhood of Newcastle home with both our East Coast locations a far distance from where we first met at the offices of a not-for-profit in Perth.

She was available for one night only, and I was available for only part of that evening (rehearsal call later). So we decided on the easily accessible, absolutely central and expansively outfitted Transport Public Bar, smack bang in Federation Square.

I had made a booking, but I needn't have bothered, there was heaps of space to sit and set up, either with a beer or the decent menu, and I even managed to find a drink to enjoy (I'm famously a non-drinker about 95% of the time). 

Unfortunately Nikki was catching a cab from Albert Park. In peak hour. And it had been raining. Consequence: the first part of our evening was pretty much catching up via text! 

I managed to beg a little latitude with my director to be a touch late for tonight's rehearsal and so when she arrived we got to gasbag on all things and enjoy a hearty meal. Nikki had insisted on having the same selection as moi and I can say I thoroughly enjoyed our combination of crispy duck shanks with spring onion and cucumber accompanied by a  tidy pot of hoisin sauce parlayed with the intriguing gluten free option of a small yet generous serving of the quinoa, lentil and nut salad with toasted pumpkin seeds, roasted beetroot & feta - crunchily delish.

An easy-going place to head to for after-work drinks with a well rounded pub style menu.

Pros: Fast service with efficient and helpful staff, cool foodie options to try, large space to accommodate big groups, convenience plus being at the heart of Melbourne in the iconic Federation Square

Cons: Can get a little bit noisy due to popularity and a multitude of hard surfaces

Transport Public Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments? Notes or opinions? Write on!