Thursday 3 July 2014

Fernwood Gyms

Bought through: Our Deal
Voucher for: $29 for 4 weeks' full Fernwood Fitness membership. Enjoy full club access, unlimited classes & breakfast daily! 67 participating locations Australia-wide!

Fernwood Fitness Carlton

I have been thinking about joining a gym for a while, as I'll admit, I was finding the dark Melbourne mornings of winter quite a demotivating factor.

While I boast quite a good collection of recordings - from HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) with Jillian Michaels to yoga and barre workouts, when my alarm would sound off in the early a.m., it would unsurprisingly still be pretty damn dark, and my body would rouse just enough to dismiss the klaxon, then promptly sock back to sleep due to lack of sunlight. 

I had been enjoying an Unlimited Pass to The Yoga Social during June, and while I loved those classes, I felt I needed more diversity in my exercise week - a bit more cardio and definitely more weights to get my metabolism pumping.

Obviously Fernwood was thinking this too as I didn't even have to call them for an appointment - they proactively got in contact in late June and booked me in for my trial month just in the squeak of time for EOFYS.

While my initial appointment had been made with Moyra, I got another girl entirely when I turned up at the gym. She was fine, running me through the join-our-great-gym script and showing me around the facilities of Fernwood Carlton.

Not bad for a location close to the CBD, it had a good amount of floor space devoted to treadmills, stationary bikes and other large equipment, with breakout sections for free weights, mat work and the like. There were at least two personal trainers on the floor working with clients during my tour, so no excuses if you really wanted to focus on your transformative fitness goals (for a fee). 

Unfortunately, Fernwood Carlton wasn't as expansive as I would have liked, and only had one studio for group fitness classes (which is the main reason I would join any gym). You may be out of luck if you wanted in on some of the more popular Les Mills workout options. Fernwood also didn't appear to have an online booking system, though I was assured that you could usually find a place in most classes.

Breakfast is included as part of your membership for those who prefer to exercise before work (more power to you), and overall the staff there seem quite helpful and supportive. Fernwood also run empowering fitness campaigns, with the latest being the Fernwood Angels 28 Day Breakthru - designed to "...help you break through bad habits and kick start healthier ones."

I've tried a few classes since the start of July, dashing after work for the 5.30pm start times (thank you No. 96 tram!); and staying back for a couple of the 6.30pm workouts. My favourites so far have been Body Pump and Body Balance, and it feels great to be challenged by my exercise regime again. I feel stronger and leaner!

However, I think I might need to consider a gym closer to my workplace which would also sport more group fitness options. Fernwood Carlton is a decent enough gym though if it's in your area.

Pros: Reasonably close to the Melbourne CBD with a tram stop right next to the entrance; newish facilities and friendly staff
Cons: Only one group fitness studio

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments? Notes or opinions? Write on!