Thursday 17 July 2014

Sparadise Spa & Massage

Bought through: LivingSocial
Voucher for: Trim down with 5 slimming packages plus one detoxing foot spa


So I bought this voucher back in May when I was determined to ignore all the delicious food and restaurant deals and focus on healthy experiences that might help me tone up (it was the start of winter and I was feeling a bit... round).

As I needed to enjoy it by September, I thought why not try this now? I have some busy evenings coming up working on a play and might not have the opportunity to devote five concurrent visits in the future, especially as Vermont South is a good half hour drive from me via the freeway.

The location is residential, off Springvale Road and not too hard to find. The house is a large two storey on the corner and displays the Sparadise signage just below the doorbell. My first visit was on Sunday, 13th of July and I met Manager Judy Li who got me to fill out some general forms and then introduced me to the acupressurist, a kindly looking older woman who was smiley but didn't speak much English. Ms Li referred to her as a doctor and while I didn't ask to see any qualifications, I felt as I wasn't getting anything too invasive, I should be fine with a little poking and prodding - no needles thankfully!

I entered a small room set up with two massage therapy beds and was invited to lie on one of them. Little sockettes were put on my feet and the doctor proceeded to use some wooden acupressure tools to in turn tickle, poke, prod and massage my feet. This probably went on for close to 10 minutes and the doctor made an observation to Ms Li that I had some upper shoulder tension (which is true - computers and the cold of a Melbourne winter can give you a screen shrug). 
I also received a small massage on the front of my calves, with a little light slapping; some pressure pushing on my left hand and finally some poking at various points on my back with light palm slaps around my spine to finish off.

Ms Li then invited me to step on the scales and also measured me very loosely with a tape at my bust, waist, hips and one thigh.

She advised me to try not to eat 30 minutes prior to the session, and 30 minutes after, and if possible, not to eat anything after 4pm on the day of the treatment. Eeek. Please also no ice-cream (sure), watermelon (?) or grapes (high in sugar?) If I do feel hungry, try to aim for a small salad or some fruit.

She mentioned that this treatment had the potential to drop between 5 - 10kgs, which I think is a lot and potentially just water weight, but sure, let's see how this goes.

We booked in my remaining sessions for the rest of the week as it was suggested to run them as close together as possible, so I have since swapped my current gym visits after work to long walks on my lunchbreak.

My second visit on Monday, 14 July was superfast. Ms Li was away that evening so I just got the doctor directing me to the massage room and a similar acupressure as the day before. It barely seemed worth the drive. I think the acupressure is supposed to suppress my appetite, but unfortunately it didn't seem to have worked as I felt quite hungry that evening and though I didn't eat a full meal, I did have a couple of small bread-y items.

My third visit on Tuesday, 15 July had a nice detoxing foot soak after the acupressure session. Directed by Ms Li through to a covered outdoor area, I had one of those lovely cedar wood foot buckets primed with some detoxing herbs and a small pot of herbal tea to keep me warm for the 30 minute relaxation. I had initially felt a little chilly, but having my feet fully immersed in warm water (the bucket also came with a wooden lid to keep the tonic temperate) I was pretty cosy.

The remaining two nights were a repeat of Monday, albeit with a slightly longer session of acupressure. Ms Li asked me on both nights as to whether I was still hungry in the evenings. I admitted I was, though I had been mindful to only have snack sized meals. 

I had my final session tonight - Thursday, 17 July - and my end treatment weigh in. I had dropped about 2 kilos, and while that's quite a good amount for 5 days, it's not the promised 5 - 10 kilos. I also feel my current good eating habits probably contributed to that weight loss as did averaging close to 10,000 steps every day.

Ms Li felt she had to defend the program a little by saying that fasting prior to the session would have seen a much steeper drop in the scales as the acupressure could have concentrated on my belly, but she never said this at the beginning of my treatment, only that I should stop eating after 4pm (which was a good two and a half hours prior to my appointments at 6.30pm). She encouraged me to come back in the future, when the weather was warmer. She didn't even bother to measure me again, obviously eager to finish up my consultation.

So, that was a bit of a disappointment, but to be honest, not unexpected. I would have been very surprised to shift that much weight in such a short period of time, and I think fasting while being told it's okay to exercise might be a little impractical. Your body and metabolism needs fuel to burn, or even just function well, especially in winter.

I found this treatment to be a bit of a waste of money and I'm unlikely to try Sparadise's other offerings, especially as evening sessions seem to be a bit rushed.

Pros: a lovely foot soak; relaxing acupressure sessions
Cons: evening sessions feel rushed; exterior of home salon dark and a little unwelcoming on arrival; advertised treatment didn't meet predictions; restrictive diet and eating suggestions only disclosed once treatment was started

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this information. I have to let you know I concur on several of the points you make here and others may require some further review, but I can see your viewpoint. sydney massage therapy

    ReplyDelete

Any comments? Notes or opinions? Write on!