Thursday 24 July 2014

The Comic's Lounge

Bought through: Groupon Australia
Voucher for: One-Year Unlimited Comedy Show Pass for Two ($25) at The Comic's Lounge (Voucher value: $1560.00)


The Comic's Lounge

Last year I was lucky enough to actually be part of the Melbourne International Comedy Festival - hold your horses, I'm in no way a comedienne - for one thing I can never tell jokes, and I laugh way before I get to the punchline...!

It was more that I was working as the Door Pirate to a few friends who had brought their Pirate Church to the Festival from Perth. It was a fun show, I earned a bit of coin, and gained a healthy appreciation for the vagaries of a variable audience when it comes to the indelicate art of being an Australian comedian.

I love a witty punchline and I really admire someone who can make a whole room roar with laughter, so when I saw this deal earlier in the year I thought, "That's a bargain!" and promptly bought it from Groupon.

You could pretty much go every week for a good (usually raucous) night out, there's even the dinner and a show option should you feel peckish throughout the evening - though the voucher is only valid for the show itself.

I've since been a few times (the first trip paid for itself!) and the most recent night out was headlined by Bob Franklin, a sly comic who sets up storied scenarios with a marvellous mastery and tone over his voice.

The Comic's Lounge boasts regulars, boosts up-and-comers and supports out-of-towners, with this evening's standouts being the MC Jason Chong, visiting from RAdelaide, and Dilruk Jayasinha. These guys were absolutely hilarious, with rapid fire puns from the former, and slightly self deprecating humour from the latter. Side stitch inducing!

You can get the Unlimited Comedy Pass deal through The Comic's Lounge too for about $50 - they usually advertise it throughout the night, or you could be lucky enough and actually win one (stage humiliation by MC may or may not ensue).

Pros: a great value deal for many merry and mirthful nights out at a bargain price
Cons: visit too often and you may twig to some of the routines by the regulars (a joke heard for the second, third or twelfth time is usually never as funny as it's debut) 

1 comment:

Any comments? Notes or opinions? Write on!