Friday 8 August 2014

Table By S

Bought through: LivingSocial (by Awesome Alister)

Voucher for: Korean Fusion Stone Grill and Share Plate Degustation for Four with a Stone Grill and Share Dish per Couple plus a Tapas Dish and Wine or Beer per Person ($98 - value $231.40) - 97% Rating on Urbanspoon!

Table By S

I recently had one of the best surprises of my life. 

It was my birthday weekend, and I thought I was headed for a lovely date night with Alister to new Korean hot (s)pot, Table By S.

Though a little off the dining beaten track on Peel St - normally a relatively lively area during the day due to it's proximity to the Queen Victoria Markets - I'm always happy to try something foodie new and different, and of course, it was my birthday! 

The chilly night's air was completely forgotten the moment we stepped through the entry and a sociable babble permeated throughout the restaurant's open plan setting with direct views to the kitchens at the far end of the space. 

Heaters throughout kept the Melbourne artic temps at bay and there were little spot fires everywhere as the speciality of the house was food cooked on a Korean stone grill, a spectacular way to entertain diners and have them salivating in anticipation.

My first twig that something was afoot was that the table we were presented to was rounded by four seats. Interesting... but I was maybe thinking, so they didn't have any other place settings, though the restaurant was pretty busy. Then my good friend Suzanne unexpectedly turned up. Wow! This was great! I hadn't expected to see her and it was a lovely surprise. I guess it crossed my mind that maybe someone else might be joining us, but I didn't think too hard about it, I was busy admiring Suzanne's fun gifts of disco ball earrings and a costume saloon shot garter presented in a pretty ceramic bowl. 
Gorgeous Jessica and I

Then it happened. I had a tap on my shoulder and there, grinning like a Cheshire cat that got the cream was my gorgeous pal Jessica, who had flown in from Perth to surprise me!! 

It was amazing... It was overwhelming...! I think I must have squealed a little (witnesses say a lot), and laughed and cried all at the same time. I just couldn't believe it! I was wondering, where am I? I thought I was in Melbourne, but Jess lives in Perth... am I now in Perth? No, she's in Melbourne! Squee...! Seriously, one of my best. birthdays. ever. Thank you so much everyone.

After that, the excitement levelled out a little (though I kept poking Jess occassional throughout the evening just to remind myself that yes, she was real and here in Melbourne), and our meal was organised and set up in earnest. We had a helpful and hilarious waitress who looked like the younger sibling of funny and fiesty comedian Margaret Cho. She was great and guided us with descriptions for the feast to come. 

And the food...! Korean tapas style dishes whetted the appetite, and generous portions from the stone grill and share plates would almost have been too, too much, however married friends Violeta and Michal turned up just in time from an after-work seminar and brought an end appreciation to the meal to do it justice.

We got our spectacular table show (round of applause everyone!) and meats galore to make any culinary carnivore happy. All in all, an absolutely awesome night!

Pros: generous portions; intriguing tapas and taste combinations; helpful and personality plus waitstaff; warm, popular setting and seating

Cons: a little off the beaten Melbourne CBD dining track (hidden gem!); bring your appetite else suffer from can't-eat-anymore regret

Table by S on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments? Notes or opinions? Write on!